Wednesday, October 1, 2014

And now for something completely different

And here we go again!



It's that time of year, time for us to stay making our ways through various airports to begin the journey south. And for me a very different experience than prior seasons. 

This year I've passed up the homey comforts of Palmer Station for a job in the big city; I'm heading to McMurdo this year, along with about a thousand other people. And I've traded my wrenches and hammers for a keyboard; while I've spent three seasons as a mechanic, my actual career is in IT and that's where I'm working now. I'll be spending the '14-'15 summer season as a Network Administrator; it's only metaphorical tubes I'm unclogging now, instead of literal ones. (And strangely, despite a vastly lower likelyhood of dealing with poop, they're paying me a lot more). 

So it all begins again; already I can spot other ice people in the airport, identifiable not just by our USAP luggage tags but by the unique style of dress that I've heard described as a cross between a hobo and construction worker. It's a few more days of airports for us, and then we'll get crammed into the back of a C-130 for a flight from Christchurch down to McMurdo. Down to a very different world, a very different lifestyle. Down to the ice. 


3 comments:

Staniel said...

Safe travels! I love Christchurch, too bad you're just passing through.

Anonymous said...

Great! cant wait for your updates. I really enjoyed reading your Antarctica and motorcycle blogs. I would read your posts when i needed a break from doing tax returns all day.

Amy said...

Kia Ora, Tsaven....will look forward to reading more adventures!