Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"Are you the new me?"

Turnover is almost done by now, but for the last two weeks we've been shuffling crews around as the new guys move in and the old people move out.  But with so many people swarming about, some of them from the ship, some of them staying on station, some leaving, trying to learn everyone's name is pointless if they're not going to be around for much longer.  You have to filter out the people who you'll be seeing for a while, vs the people who are leaving shortly that you won't see again.

As an off-shoot to this, much of the turnover crew introduces themselves first as a reference to who they're replacing.  They don't say, "I'm the new Instrument Tech" or "I'm the new Cargo person".  It's "I'm the new Mark" and "I'm the new Judy".  We've so strongly associated our existing crew people with their positions that it's easier to associate to the outgoing person, rather than the outgoing job.

So when the crew first got here and the trades people gathered in the shop to start turning over, the first thing I asked them was "Alright, who's the new me?"

No comments: