Sunday, September 23, 2012

And here we are again

Four years.  It's been four years since I've been on the ice. 

Those four years saw me live in India, be homeless by choice living on my motorcycle, attempt to be a normal person in the states, and then for a couple years I lived on a tiny tropical island in the middle of the Pacific.  And in all of those places, I found some bit of what I was looking for, but . . . nothing I ever threw myself at was quite the same as the strange little frozen speck of land full of misfits that I called home for most of 2008.

So you know what?  I've gone back.

I type this from the lounge of the R/V Lawrence M Gould, as we sit at the dock at Palmer Station, Antarctica.  I'm moving back on station tomorrow; it will be my physical home for the next seven months, but it's been my emotional home since I left four years ago.