Sunday, September 21, 2008

More photospamming

Sadly, the weather today is too lame to go boating, so I figure I'd use the downtime to finally get around to getting some photos up.

A few days ago, we took a day trip out to Dream Island. Dream Island is about 8 miles away, well outside of our boating limits, but we have an emergency supply cache on the island in case someone gets blown out there. Also, later in the summer the birders will spend a few days camping out there and playing with the penguins. So it was sort of an excuse for a boondoggle, for us to get off station (and avoid work) for half a day, and see a little sliver of our area that we'd normally not get out too.

Sadly, there wasn't much wildlife out there, it's still a little early in the season for the large numbers of fauna to start coming back. But we did find this guy napping about 20 feet from the supply depot. He raised his head up, looked as us a bit, rolled over, and went back to sleep.



An elephant seal, male, but fairly young. Best guess is that he was only around 800lbs. Full grown, they can get over 10,000lbs and 20 feet long.



That one needs a caption.













On the way back, we ran into another raft of Gentoo penguins.













I'm especially happy with that one





Anyway, yeah. Animals. And I've actually got a whole mess of photos I need to get up, so there might be a bunch more posts from me today.

1 comment:

wiinterrr said...

Excellent picspam--the best I've ever seen of porpoising penguins. My readers will certainly enjoy what you are doing down there, as well as I do. Thank you so much for sharing your life experiences and visions of a place most never will understand otherwise.

Lin aka wiinterrr