Tuesday, July 29, 2008

But I don't want to go back . . .

Crap.

I might not have a contract for the 08-09 Austral summer.

Long story short, the NSF, National Science Foundation, the people who pay for all the research stations and things down here, is $17 million dollars short on next fiscal year's budget, mostly due to fuel costs. Because of that, a bunch of things have been cut, some large science projects have been downsized and construction projects put on hold or canceled. That means that they over-hired for staffing, and had to cancel a bunch of contracts.

My contract was one of those.

Crap.

I've been e-mailing everyone that I can, trying to find a position, any position, that's still open, but this late in the game, so soon before the summer, it looks very unlikely. Most other divisions also had to cut people they had initially hired, and even if they didn't have to cut staff, they're hired up for both primary and alternate positions.

So I might have to come home at the end of this contract, at or around the beginning of October.

At which point, I'll have absolutely no idea what to do with myself. I'm not going back to my old job, I don't want anything to do with my old life. I'm done with that. But I've only been a carp helper here (read = not high pay), and there's no way I've made enough money to support myself, even living like a dirty dirty hippy in a tent somewhere, for much more then a few months.

So, yeah. I don't know what to do.

(And I would like to point out that while the NSF can't get another $17 million to cover it's rising costs, we're still okay with spending $720 million PER DAY[!!!!!!] on the Iraq war)

No comments: