Saturday, April 26, 2008

Alright, so I'm sitting here at my hotel in Punta Aranus (PA) now. I've spent the last day and a half or more sitting around airports and it airplanes and on buses and shuttles, and it's amazing how tired that makes you. So I'm keeping this short, maybe I'll flesh out the events more later.


The flight from Santiago to PA was beautiful, absolutely amazing views. Chile is a very, very bumpy place. And of course, there I was twisting around like a pretzel in the economy cabin trying to wrestle around my camera and swap lenses and not lose anything. I think I did get some good pictures, but I don't have the time or energy to go through them right now, I'll sort through them and post the good ones when I can.


I'm in this hotel for the night, then tomorrow at 10am we're issued our Extreme Cold Weather (ECW) gear. Then we board the ship (the Gould) at 2pm, have the safety briefing and orientation, then spend the night on the ship, and sail the next morning, hopefully getting to Palmer by the 1st or 2nd. PA is a funny little place, it saw it's heyday as a port town, a stop for most all shipping lines, but fell apart when the Panama Canal opened and ships no longer needed to go around the tip of South America. It's on it's way back, mostly as a tourist stop and for a lot of ecological and marine research and baseing, but there's still some remnants around of what it once was.


Anyway, just a couple pictures that I've snapped while on my way down, click them for descriptions:


dallas


dallas2


santiago2


santiago1


dogs1


dogs2

No comments: